A well-maintained HVAC system generally doesn’t need cleaning. The system is designed so that with regular air duct cleaning maintenance, the filters catch all of the dust particles before it has a chance to enter the air duct. This means the inside of the duct itself doesn’t need regular cleaning since there usually isn’t anything to clean. However, if you fail to replace the filters or try to replace them without professional assistance, then your air ducts could end up needing more than just some maintenance.
How often should I be replacing my filters?
Filters generally need to be replaced every three months. However, some conditions may lead the air duct to become dustier as time goes on, such as the quality of your outside and inside air. It’s worth visually examining your filters to see how much dust they’re building up. If you’re unsure when the last time you replaced your filter was, then it’s worth giving Air Quality Express a call so we can send an expert to examine your filters and help you maintain your HVAC system. With regular maintenance, there won’t be a need to clean your air ducts unless something has disturbed the system. This could be something like improper installation, poor sealing or even the presence of long-haired pets.
When should I consider cleaning my air ducts?
Since air ducts don’t need to be cleaned on a regular basis assuming you change the filters regularly, there are still a few situations where you might want to consider cleaning them.
- If you have lots of long-haired pets. you should consider cleaning your air ducts at least once to see if there is any hair buildup along with your filters. If so then you may need to find a solution (such as keeping your pets well-groomed to catch loose long hairs) or to clean your air ducts every few months.
- If you’ve had an animal infestation, you should examine your air ducts and HVAC system to see if there’s any evidence of the critters or pests lurking in your air ducts.
- Also if you’ve recently renovated your home, it’s worth checking the air ducts to see if it needs further cleaning. The renovation could have knocked a lot of dust or debris into the air duct,
- If you’ve had mold or asbestos treatment, then it’s important that you examine your air ducts and clean them to remove any dangerous bacteria or spores that could lead to an exacerbated problem.
- If someone in your home is suffering from unexplained allergies, then there’s a chance that your HVAC system is the culprit, Contaminants can get stuck inside the air duct or the filter, causing seemingly unexplained allergies in some people. replacing the filters doesn’t help then it could be an issue with the air duct itself.
So is air duct cleaning really worth it?
Under most circumstances, you should consider air duct cleaning like any cleaning service. If you’re keeping your HVAC system well-maintained then you don’t need it. However, if you’ve disturbed your HVAC system with dust and debris, or if you haven’t swapped the filters for a long time, then a one-off air duct cleaning service will be very helpful.
If you’re considering an Air duct cleaning maintenance hire the pros at: